Grilled Niçoise Tuna Steaks
- 0.5 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 0.5 cup dry white wine
- 2.5 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp coarsely chopped thyme leaves
- 1 Tbsp plus 1 teaspoon ground fennel
- 2 large shallot, coarsely chopped
- 1-inch-thick tuna steaks, 8 ounce each
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1. In a medium bowl, whisk the olive oil with the wine, mustard, thyme, fennel and shallots. Arrange the tuna steaks on a large rimmed baking sheet and pour the marinade over them. Turn the tuna steaks to coat. Let stand for 30 minutes.
2. Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Season the tuna steaks with salt and pepper. Grill over moderately high heat, turning once, for 4 minutes per side, until medium. Thinly slice the steaks, transfer to plates and serve.
NOTES A Niçoise salad isn't complete without the traditional accompaniments: mixed olives, anchovies, hard-boiled eggs and steamed potatoes tossed with olive oil and fresh herbs.