Grilled Leeks with Shishito Romesco
Grilled until they're lightly charred outside and tender within, these leeks are terrific served with a spicy twist on the classic Spanish almond sauce. Here, the romesco is made with grilled shishitos and crushed red pepper so it has multiple layers of heat.
- 8 large leeks, white and light green parts only
- 0.5 tsp grated lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp fresh bread crumbs
- 0.5 cup toasted marcona almonds
- 1 cup lightly packed parsley
- 12 shishito peppers, stemmed
- 0.25 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- kosher salt
- 0.75 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Light a grill. Halve the leeks lengthwise through the light green part; leave the white parts and root attached. Rinse under cold water. Brush with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over moderately low heat, turning, until charred outside, 25 minutes. Transfer to a platter and cover with plastic wrap; let steam for 15 minutes.
- Discard the charred outside and return the leeks to the platter. Toss with the garlic, red pepper and 1/4 cup of the oil and season with salt and pepper; let stand for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grill the shishitos over high heat, turning, until lightly charred, 2 minutes. Transfer to a food processor and let cool slightly. Add the parsley, almonds, bread crumbs, lemon zest and juice and pulse until minced. With the machine on, add the remaining 1/2 cup of oil. Season with salt and pepper. Serve the leeks with the shishito romesco.
Make Ahead: The marinated leeks and romesco can be refrigerated separately overnight. Return to room temperature before serving.
Recipe Credit: Eii Kulp
Image Credit: Christina Holmes