Grilled Cucumbers and Eggplant
Serving Size: 4
To jazz up simple grilled eggplant and cucumbers, toss them with a delicious and simple dressing of olive oil, vinegar, garlic and anchovy.
- 0.5 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- Leaves from 1 small bunch of basil
- 1 mall eggplant, halved lengthwise and cut into wedges
- 4 Persian or Kirby cucumbers, quartered lengthwise
- 5 anchovy fillets, minced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 0.25 cup red wine vinegar
- Crusty bread, for serving
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. In a large bowl, whisk the olive oil with the vinegar, garlic and anchovy; season with salt and pepper. In another large bowl, toss the cucumbers and eggplant with 3 tablespoons of the vinaigrette. Oil the grates and grill over moderate heat, turning, until the cucumbers are crisp-tender and the eggplant is tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer the vegetables to the vinaigrette and add the basil; toss to coat. Serve warm, at room temperature or cold, with bread.
Recipe Credit: Kay Chun
Image Credit: John Kernick