Grilled Asparagus with Pecorino and Meyer Lemon-Poached Eggs
This lightly grilled asparagus tastes great with perfectly cooked eggs that are poached in Meyer lemon juice and water.
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for oiling the grate
- 1 Pound pound thin asparagus
- 4 large eggs
- 0.25 cup plus 1 tablespoon fresh Meyer lemon juice
- 1 tsp finely grated Meyer lemon zest (see Note)
- 0.5 cup freshly grated Locatelli Pecorino cheese
- Freshly ground pepper
- Light a grill and oil the grate. On a baking sheet, toss the asparagus with the 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt. Grill over moderate heat, turning, until the asparagus are lightly charred and crisp-tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer the asparagus to plates and keep warm.
- Crack the eggs into 4 small bowls. Bring a medium saucepan of water to a simmer. Add the 1/4 cup of lemon juice and season with salt. Stir the water to create a vortex. Add the eggs one at a time, stirring gently in the same direction so they do not settle. Poach over moderate heat until the whites are set and the yolks are runny, 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the eggs to paper towels to drain briefly.
- Set the eggs on the asparagus. Drizzle with the remaining 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and sprinkle the lemon zest and cheese on top. Season generously with pepper and serve.
Recipe Credit: Nicholas Elmi
Image Credit: Con Poulos