Griddle Pancakes with Plum Compote
On the first bite I knew I had found my new favorite healthy pancake. The blend of different flours gives these pancakes a nutty rich flavor that you don’t get with pancakes made with white flour. The oat, buckwheat and brown rice flour make these high in fiber which we all know is good for you! I don’t have a gluten intolerance (knock on wood!) but you can use gluten-free oat flour to make this recipe 100% gluten-free.
For the Compote
- 1 cup plums, quartered or chopped in small chunks
- dash of cinnamon
- 1 cup pure maple syrup
- In a heavy-bottomed pot, combine the maple syrup and cinnamon.
- Bring to a boil and add the plums.
- Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the fruits soften and break down — about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat to cool.
For the Pancakes
- 0.25 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 0.25 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 0.25 cup buckwheat flour
- 0.33 cup brown rice flour
- 0.67 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup gluten-free oat flour
- cooking spray
- In a large bowl, whisk the oat flour, cornmeal, rice & buckwheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg, buttermilk, and maple syrup.
- Combine the dry and the wet mixtures and whisk well. Add the butter and whisk until there no lumps.
- Cook on a hot, greased griddle, using about ¼ cup of batter for each pancake. Cook until bubbly, a little dry around the edges, and lightly browned on the bottom, about 3 minutes. Turn and brown the other side, about 2 minutes longer.
Read more from Fit, Fun & Delish.