The Green Monster
This sandwich is a meal on its own- it doesn't leave you feeling heavy or weighted down, but at the same time it is super filling.
smokey portabella bacon
- 2 small portabella caps // 1 large + sliced
- 0.5 tsp maple syrup
- 0.5 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 0.125 tsp liquid smoke
- drizzle olive oil
- pinch apple wood smoked salt (or sea salt)
- Heat a small pan over medium heat - add all ingredients to pan and cook for 5-8 or so minutes, stirring + turning as needed until "bacon" begins to caramelize. Remove from pan and set aside. You will want the portabellas to still maintain some plumpness/moisture. (See Note)
- 5 green olives // pitted + finely diced
- 0.75 cup (combined) pea shoots + arugula // greens
- 2 slices of your favorite artisan seeded bread
- splash of orange juice
- pinch salt
- 0.25 tsp cumin
- 0.5 mashed avocado
- 0.25 cup sliced roasted red + yellow peppers
- In a small bowl mash avocado, stir in cumin, salt + orange juice until nice + creamy in texture.
- Spread avocado spread on one side of each piece of bread. On one slice of bread, top avocado with greens, top the other slice with diced olives. Layer smokey portabella bacon on top of the olives, then layer the red + yellow peppers on top of the smokey bacon. Place the slice of bread with the greens, facing down on top of the bacon, completing the sandwich.
Note: You can also use tempeh bacon or smoked sliced tofu.
For the full post, visit Sunday Morning Banana Pancakes.