Green Bean Casserole with Wild Mushrooms
- 0.5 small dice sweet onion
- kosher salt to taste
- 4 Tbsp freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 0.5 cup Italian bread crumbs or Panko
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 slices chopped bacon
- 3 Ounce sliced Cremini mushrooms
- 1.5 Pound trimmed and picked over fresh green beans
- 0.33 cup white wine
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp finely minced garlic
- fresh cracked pepper to taste
- In a large pan on high heat render the bacon fat and halfway through the bacon being cooked add in the onion and garlic to caramelize.
- Once the bacon, onions and garlic are cooked, deglaze the pan with white wine and cook until the wine is almost gone.
- While the wine is cooking down add the green beans to a large pot of salted boiling water and cook until just al dente (slightly crunchy).
- Once the wine is cooked out, add in cream and reduce until it becomes almost as thick as alfredo sauce.
- Once the cream is thick, add in thyme and adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper.
- Once the green beans are cooked add them to a casserole dish and cover them with the cream, bacon, herb mixture completely and toss around to coat.
- Add the bread crumbs over the top along with the parmesan cheese and bake on 400° for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Serve immediately after coming out of the oven.
Read more from Chef Billy Parisi.