Goo Goo Pie Parfaits
This over-the-top combination of chocolate crémeux (pudding) and silky, salty caramel-peanut sauce was inspired by the Goo Goo Cluster candy bar.
- 14 Ounce milk chocolate, finely chopped (3 cups)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 0.25 cup sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 3.5 Ounce dark chocolate, finely chopped (3/4 cup)
- Make the cremeux: In a large bowl, combine the 2 chocolates. In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar until well combined.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the milk and heavy cream just to a simmer. Whisking constantly, slowly drizzle half of the hot milk into the egg mixture. Pour the milk-egg mixture into the saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the custard is thickened enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon, 12 to 14 minutes. Strain the custard into the bowl of chocolate. Stir until the chocolate is melted and the crémeux is smooth. Spoon into eight 1-cup jars or ramekins. Chill for 3 hours or until set.
- 1 cup salted roasted peanuts (5 ounces)
- 2 Tbsp whiskey
- 0.25 cup water
- 1.5 Tbsp light corn syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 0.5 cup heavy cream
- Flaky sea salt, whipped cream and grated chocolate, for garnish
- Meanwhile, make the sauce: In a small saucepan, warm the cream and butter over moderate heat until the butter melts; remove from the heat. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, light corn syrup and water and bring to a boil. Cook over moderate heat, swirling the pan occasionally, until the sugar dissolves and a golden amber caramel forms, 10 minutes. Carefully pour in the cream mixture (it will bubble vigorously) and whisk until smooth. Let the sauce cool to room temperature, 1 hour. Stir in the whiskey and peanuts.
- To serve, spoon the peanut-caramel sauce over the crémeux and garnish with sea salt, whipped cream and grated chocolate.
Make Ahead: The crémeux and peanut-caramel sauce can be refrigerated separately for 3 days. Let come to room temperature before assembling.
Recipe Credit: Rebecca Masson
Image Credit: Christina Holmes