Gingerbread Muffin with Dark Chocolate Chips
With Christmas fast approaching what better way to celebrate than indulging in rich moist dreamy gingerbread muffins with mini dark chocolate chips. The gingerbread flavor and texture of the muffins is reminiscent of the chewy gingerbread cookies you most probably had growing up while the mini chocolate chips brings adds a nice touch of rich dark sweetness.
The key to my muffins is two-fold. The dark chocolate chips are the perfect addition to turn an ordinary gingerbread recipe truly incredible, and the hint of pure cane syrup alongside the molasses adds the most excellent rich flavor that you normally don’t find in other gingerbread. The reason behind the pure cane syrup addition is simple—I didn’t have enough molasses and as I always say some of the best recipes are results of mistakes or substitutions!
- 2.5 cup flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 0.5 cup pure cane syrup
- 1 cup molasses
- Ounce dark mini chocolate chips
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 0.25 tsp nutmeg
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1.5 tsp baking soda
- 0.625 cup melted butter
- Mix sugar, flour, baking soda, spices and salt to a bowl. Combine well.
- In a separate bowl add egg, molasses, cane syrup, buttermilk and butter. Stir to combine.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry, stirring to combine again.
- Add in the chocolate chips.
- Preheat oven to 350 and line muffin tin with cupcake liners or grease a muffin tin with butter.
- Pour batter into muffin tins 2/3 the way full.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes
Read more from Kitchen Bellelicious.