Garlic-Oregano Grilled Pita Bread
Skip the salty store-bought pita chips and grill your own for dipping in hummus or other healthy bean spreads (if you don't have time to make the garlic-oregano pitas, just grill plain pita triangles, preferably whole wheat).
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped oregano
- 6 (6-to 8-inch) pocketless pita bread rounds
- Kosher salt to taste
- Heat oil in a small heavy skillet over medium heat until it shimmers. Cook garlic, turning once, until pale golden, about 1 minute. Discard garlic and remove skillet from heat, then stir in oregano.
- Prepare grill for direct-heat cooking over medium-hot charcoal (medium-high heat for gas).
- Oil grill rack. Grill pitas, 3 at a time, covered only if using a gas grill, turning once, until grill marks appear, about 2 minutes total per batch. Transfer to a cutting board and brush both sides with garlic-oregano oil. Cut pitas into wedges. Sprinkle with kosher salt. Serve warm.
Recipe courtesy of: Gina Marie Miraglia Eriquez
Image Credit: Roland Bello