The Fry Baby
I’m reinventing one of my old classic sandwiches into a new and hipper version of a fried chicken and waffles grilled cheese.
- 2 Belgium waffles
- 0.5 cup smoked applewood fontina (I used Wisconsin Cheese’s Carr Valley)
- a couple grilled okra, cut in half
- 1 Tbsp ranch dressing
- 1 semi-thin fried boneless chicken breast
- 0.5 Tbsp pickled cherries, chopped
- 1 pat salted butter
- So this step is easy and you probably already know what to do. Shred that cheese and plop it on!
- Now fry up some chicken, put it on top, and don’t look back.
- Now here’s the I do what I want part. Add some ranch. Yeah, you heard me. Add that ranch! Then add some pickled cherry bits and smile. You deserve it!
- Now it’s time to add something green. To make grilled okra, just split some okra down the middle and toss with olive oil and a little bit of salt. Heat up a grill pan or your panini press for a few minutes until it gets piping hot… THEN CRUSH THEM. Not like in a bully sort of way but rather, in a “I want these to be super flat and crisp” sort of way. Cook until they get little grill marks and become tender. Then devour… Or in this case, save them so you can make this sandwich.
- Omg you’re almost at the finish line! Just add the rest of the cheese and the other belgium waffle and get ready to grill! I used my Breville panini press to cook up this bad boy, but you could totally do it in a pan. Just make sure to keep the heat super low, and sort of cover the sandwich so that the steam can help the cheese melt.
- After about ten minutes of cooking on each side (I know, i know, it takes a long time!) it should be done! Be sure to let it sit so that the cheese doesn’t ooze out while it’s all hot and gooey and absolutely perfect.
For the full post, visit Grilled Cheese Social.