Fresh Harissa & Yogurt Spiced Chicken Sandwiches
This is a grilled chicken sandwich that will get your guests fired up. For real, it has a serious kick to it!
For the harissa
- 4 fresh cherry peppers
- 1 tsp fresh harissa + ½ cup Greek yogurt, mixed (for sauce)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 4 garlic cloves
- 0.5 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp caraway seed
- 1 tsp coriander seed
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 0.5 tsp of crushed red pepper flakes
- mini bell peppers
- 2 fresh habanero peppers
- Roast and peel your peppers: Preheat your oven to 450 degrees (Make sure it’s clean, or any residue will likely burn!). Place the cherry, habanero, and bell peppers on a sheet pan. Roast in the oven, turning once, for approximately 30 minutes (Timing will depend on the size of your peppers. It could take less time, if they are on the smaller side.), until the skins are charred. Remove the pan from the oven and immediately cover it with a layer of tinfoil, ensuring that no air gets out. Allow to cool long enough that you are able to handle the peppers. Remove the stems and seeds from the peppers, and gently peel away the skins.
- While the peppers roast, place the red pepper flakes, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, and caraway seeds in a pan set over medium heat. Toast the spices just until fragrant (You will definitely be able to smell this mix!).
- Place the peeled peppers, toasted spices, salt, garlic cloves, and lemon juice in a food processor. Pulse until smooth. Mix one teaspoon of olive oil into the pepper mixture. Store the harissa in a clean glass jar and top with the additional teaspoon of olive oil, to preserve. Refrigerate for up to two weeks.
For the spiced chicken
- 2 Pound boneless, skinless chicken tenders (18-24 tenders)
- 0.25 cup white wine
- 0.5 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp fresh harissa paste
- Mix together the harissa, yogurt, and wine. Place the chicken tenders in a shallow baking dish, and top with the yogurt mixture. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate. Marinate for at least two hours, up to overnight.
- To cook the chicken: Fire up your grill! Remove the chicken from the marinade, allowing any excess to drip off. Place the chicken on the hot grill, and cook for approximately 5 minutes on each side.
For the sandwiches
- Cobblestone Wheat Grinder Sub Rolls
- cooked chicken tenders
- To assemble: Top each roll with grilled chicken and desired vegetables/herbs, and sauce (A little of the sauce goes a long way!)
Optional Topping Ideas: Sliced Carrots, Cucumber, Cabbage, Pineapple, Basil, Cilantro, Mint & Pickled Vegetables (I used radishes and red onions, that I quick-pickled with a mix of vinegar, water, honey, salt, and garlic).
For the full post, visit JJ Begonia.
This is a collaboration between Cobblestone Bread Co. and the AOL Lifestyle Contributor Network. Compensation was provided by Cobblestone Bread Co. via AOL Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Cobblestone Bread Co.