Freezer Breakfast Burritos: Mushroom, Bacon, Spinach, and Cheese
Freezer breakfast foods are a must in my house and breakfast burritos top the list as one of our favorites. Since these are in the freezer and ready to eat my husband and I actual get to sit and enjoy breakfast together before we part for the day. Doesn’t that sound romantic? Haha seriously though it is so nice to just have breakfast ready.
The last few months we have been eating the same breakfast burrito recipe. Although it is very good I didn’t want us to get bored so I decided to venture out and test some new flavor combinations.
The first one I came up with was inspired by ingredients my husband sometimes likes to get in his omelets when we go out to breakfast. Well, that is not entirely true; the spinach was my idea. I just happen to have some leftover in the refrigerator :) Can’t let food go to waste now can we?
This freezer burrito can easily be made vegetarian by removing the bacon. However, unless I want to see a grown man cry, in my house the bacon must stay.
- 12 large eggs
- 0.75 cup 1% milk
- Ounce package sliced white mushroom
- 2 cup baby spinach, chopped
- 6 slice sharp American cheese, cut in half
- 6 slice bacon, cooked and cut in half
- salt and pepper to taste
- 12 flour tortillas (I try to use one that has no more than 140 per tortilla)
- Beat eggs and milk in large bowl and set aside.
- In a large pan coated with cooking spray cook mushrooms till soft, about 5 – 7 minutes. As the mushrooms cook break into small pieces with spatula.
- Add in spinach and cook until wilted.
- Add eggs and stir frequently until thoroughly cooked.
- In the center of a burrito add 1/3 cup egg mixture, ½ slice cheese, and ½ slice bacon. Fold burrito ends in and roll up. Continue with rest of the burritos. Serve hot.
Let egg mixture cool slightly before filling burritos. Once breakfast burritos are prepared then wrap in plastic wrap and place in freezer bag. Store in freezer.
Remove burrito from bag and plastic wrap. Heat up in microwave for 2 ½ – 3 minutes or until completely heated through.
Read more from Organize Yourself Skinny.