Fennel-and-Citrus Salad with Mint
For his light, simple salad, chef Matthew Accarrino of San Francisco’s SPQR mixes grapefruit and orange segments with shaved fennel and a sweet-tart honey-lemon dressing.
- 2 red grapefruits
- 2 navel oranges
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 fennel bulbs—halved, cored and thinly sliced on a mandolin, 2 tablespoons of chopped fronds reserved
- 2 Tbsp small mint leaves
- 0.5 tsp ground coriander
- Using a sharp knife, cut the skin and white pith from the grapefruits and oranges. Working over a bowl, cut between the membranes to release the sections into the bowl. Squeeze the membranes to extract the juice.
- In a small bowl, stir the olive oil with the honey and lemon juice. Add 3 tablespoons of the citrus juice and season with salt. Reserve the remaining citrus juice for another use.
- In a shallow serving bowl, toss the fennel and citrus sections with the dressing. Garnish with the chopped fennel fronds, mint leaves and ground coriander and serve right away.
Recipe Credit: Matthew Accarrino
Image Credit: Con Poulos