Époisses Grilled Cheese and Pepper Jelly Sandwiches
This indulgent sandwich from chef Vivian Howard is a fun combination of Époisses, the pungent French cow-milk cheese, and sweet and spicy pepper jelly.
- 0.5 cup pecan halves
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 8 1/2-inch-thick slices of sourdough bread
- 4 Tbsp hot pepper jelly
- 1 Can chilled round of Époisses cheese (8.8 ounces), cut into 1/4-inch slice
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a pie pan, toss the pecans with the oil and salt. Bake for 8 minutes or until toasted. Let the pecans cool, then coarsely chop.
- Spread 1/2 tablespoon of the butter on one side of each slice of bread. Spread 1/2 tablespoon of the pepper jelly on the other side of each slice. Arrange the Époisses on the jelly side of 4 slices of bread and top with the pecans. Cover each sandwich with another slice of bread, butter side facing out.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet over moderate heat. Add 2 sandwiches and grill for about 4 minutes. Flip the sandwiches and cook until golden brown on the bottom and the cheese is melted, 4 minutes more. Transfer to a work surface and cook the remaining 2 sandwiches.
Recipe Credit: Vivian Howard
Image Credit: Christina Holmes