End-of-the-Week Deli Sandwich
This sandwich is a favorite in the Bon Appétit Test Kitchen. It's a clever—and delicious—way to clean out the fridge.
- 1 Pound ciabatta, focaccia, or pain rustique, cut horizontally in half
- 0.5 cup pesto or roasted red pepper spread
- 0.25 cup mayonnaise
- 8 cheese slice (such as Jack, Swiss, or Havarti)
- 9 Ounce assorted deli meats (such as salami, mortadella, prosciutto, ham, and turkey)
- 0.67 cup sliced drained peperoncini or pickled jalapeño chiles
- thinly sliced red onion
- sliced tomato
- arugula or other lettuce
Preheat oven to 400°F. Place bread, cut side up, on baking sheet. Mix pesto and mayonnaise in small bowl; spread over both cut sides of bread. Arrange cheese on bottom half of bread. Bake bread halves until lightly toasted, about 10 minutes. Top cheese with meats, then peperoncini, onion, tomatoes, and arugula. Cover with top half of bread. Cut lengthwise in half, then crosswise into 6 sandwiches.
Recipe Credit: the Bon Appetit Test Kitchen
Image Credit: Patricia Heal