End-of-Summer Eggplant Bake
Baking eggplant makes it super tender and creamy. Here, it’s topped with warm, lemony ricotta cheese and crispy croutons.
- 2 large eggplants, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 0.25 cup heavy cream
- 1.25 cup fresh ricotta cheese
- 2 spring onions or 6 scallions, thinly sliced
- kosher salt
- 0.5 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for greasing
- 4 Ounce country white bread, crusts removed and bread torn into 1/2-inch pieces (2 cups)
- Preheat the oven to 450°. On 2 baking sheets, spread the eggplant in an even layer. Drizzle with 6 tablespoons of the olive oil, season with salt and pepper and toss. Roast for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, toss the spring onions with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the onions to the eggplant and dot with the butter. Roast for 15 minutes longer, stirring, until the eggplant is tender.
- In a medium bowl, stir the ricotta with the cream, lemon zest, lemon juice and parsley and season with salt and pepper. In a small bowl, toss the bread with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Lightly grease a 2-quart, 2-inch-deep baking dish. Transfer the eggplant and onions to the baking dish. Dollop with the ricotta mixture and scatter the bread on top. Bake for about 10 minutes, until the bread is golden.
MAKE AHEAD The roasted eggplant and onions can be refrigerated overnight. Bring to room temperature before baking.
Recipe Credit: Jessica Koslow
Image Credit: Con Poulos