Eggs Baked in Roasted Tomato Sauce
- 1.5 Pound plum tomato, halved lengthwise
- 2 clove garlic, smashed
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp chopped oregano
- 8 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 400°. In a roasting pan, toss the tomatoes and garlic with the oil and season with salt and pepper. Arrange the tomatoes cut side up and roast for 15 minutes; turn and roast until soft, 20 minutes. Let cool, then scrape the mixture into a blender and puree. Add the oregano.
2. Set 4 shallow ovenproof bowls on a baking sheet. Strain the pureed sauce into the bowls, pressing on the solids. Crack 2 eggs into each bowl and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the cheese over the eggs and bake the eggs for about 15 minutes, until the whites are just set. Serve hot.