Eggplant Dirty Rice
- 0.25 cup canola oil
- 2.5 cup vegetable broth
- 1.5 cup medium-grain white rice
- 0.25 cup soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp tomato pasta
- 3 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 0.25 tsp cayenne pepper
- 0.25 tsp finely ground white pepper
- 0.5 tsp finely ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp dried thyme
- 1 medium eggplant (about 1 pound), cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium green bell peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 celery rib, finely chopped
- hot sauce, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a large, deep casserole, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the celery, bell peppers and onion and season with salt. Cover and cook over low heat until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Uncover and cook over moderate heat until the vegetables are lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Add the eggplant, thyme, black and white peppers and cayenne and season with salt. Cook over moderate heat until the eggplant is softened, about 8 minutes. Stir in the garlic and tomato paste and cook for 1 minute. Add the soy sauce and scrape up any bits stuck to the bottom of the casserole. Stir in the rice and broth and bring to a boil.
- Cover and bake for 17 minutes, until the rice is just tender. Remove from the oven and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Fluff the rice and serve with hot sauce.
Recipe Credit: David Kinch
Image Credit: Cedric Angeles