Egg in a Basket with Smoked Turkey and Asparagus
asparagus stalks (about 3/4 bunch), woody bottoms removed
pieces whole-wheat sandwich bread
sliced smoked turkey, sliced again into thin ribbons
freshly ground black pepper
- Place the asparagus in a steamer basket over a pot of boiling water. Cover and steam until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Chop the asparagus into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Brush both sides of each slice of bread with the melted butter. Using a 3-inch cookie cutter, cut a hole in the center of each slice of bread; reserve the cutouts.
- Spray a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and set over medium-high heat. Cook the turkey slices until they are browned around the edges, about 3 minutes.
- Add the asparagus and cook until it is heated through, about 2 minutes, then season with the pepper. Transfer the mixture to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Place 2 of the bread slices and cutouts in the same skillet and crack one egg into the hole of each slice. Cook until the egg whites are set and the bread is toasted on the underside, about 3 minutes. Using a spatula, flip the bread/egg slices and cutouts and cook an additional 1 minute. Transfer the bread/egg pieces to individual plates. Repeat with the remaining bread slices and cutouts. Top each one with 1/4 of the turkey-asparagus mixture. Arrange the cutouts on each plate.