Easy Tombstone Cupcakes
If you want to make these cupcakes look more professional, you could of course use rolled fondant and cut tombstones out of that but I found the chocolate covered digestive biscuits work really well, especially if you want your kids to have something easy to work with. To make writing “RIP” easier, you should get a few small piping bags. They work really well and they’re not at all expensive. Just go to your local baking shop and pick up a few. You could also just use box cake mix to make it easier, but if you want to make them from scratch, have a look at THIS recipe from South African Foodies.
- 12 chocolate cupcake
- chocolate buttercream
- Milo or crushed chocolate biscuits for the ‘dirt’
- 1 egg white
- 0.67 Pound sifted icing sugar
- 12 chocolate covered digestive biscuit
- Cover the cooled cupcakes with a layer of chocolate buttercream and dip into the Milo so it resembles dirt.
- Mix together the egg white and sifted icing sugar until a thick and smooth icing is achieved. It needs to be thick enough to write with but not too thick to be able to write with. If you get what I’m saying.
- Place the digestive biscuits on a tray and pipe the letters R I P on them. Remember to do this more to the top of the biscuit as some of it will be pushed into the cupcake. Allow the royal icing to dry.
- With a knife, make a slit at the back of each cupcake and push the digestive biscuit in. Sprinkle some more Milo on if you prefer and serve.
Read more from Simply Delicious.