Easy Chicken Fajitas With Thai Mango Slaw And Coconut Rice
Fajitas have been a summer favorite for years. I added some chicken, lots and lots of peppers, cheese and rice to a skillet. Done. Quick easy, no oven and so good.
- 0.5 tsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp (may use canola oil)
- shredded cheddar cheese, for serving (optional)
- 8 whole wheat fajita size flour tortillas, warmed
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Pound chicken, slice into thin strips
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 orange pepper, sliced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic, minced or grated
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 0.25 cup lime juice
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp sweet thai chili sauce
- 0.5 tsp chili powder
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 mangos, peeled and julienned (sliced into thin strips)
- 0.5 red pepper, chopped
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 1 Tbsp toasted coconut
- 1 cup uncooked jasmine rice
- 1 cup light, canned coconut milk
- 0.75 cup coconut water
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp unsweetened, flaked coconut
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- Start by making the rice. Add the coconut milk and coconut water to a medium size pot. Bring to a low boil and then add the rice, salt, unsweetened coconut and coconut oil. Stir to combine and then place the lid on the pot and turn the heat down to the lowest setting possible. Allow the rice to cook ten minutes on low and then turn the heat off completely and let the rice sit on the stove, covered for another 20 minutes (don't take any peeks inside!). After 20 minutes remove the lid and fluff the rice with a fork. Serve inside the fajitas or on the side. Note that rice can cook differently for everyone, this is just what works for me.
- While the rice is cooking make the fajitas. In a large bowl combine the olive oil, garlic, lime juice, brown sugar, chili powder, smoked paprika and cumin. Add the chicken and toss well. Cover the bowl and place in the fridge while you work on the slaw, at least 15 minutes. *This can be done a day in advance and refriderated overnight.
- To make the slaw, combine the lime juice, olive oil, fish sauce, sweet thai chili sauce, chili powder and cilantro in a medium size bowl. Add the mangos and red pepper. Toss well and the add the avocado and toasted coconut. Gently toss the avocado and coconut in with the rest of the slaw. Set aside until ready to use.
- Heat a large skillet over high heat and add 1 tablespoon of peanut oil. When the skillet is hot (but not smoking) add the chicken and juice left in the bowl. Stir fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and begining to caramelize. Remove the chicken from the pan. To the same pan add the peppers and stir fry for 3 minutes. Add the chicken back to the pan and toss with peppers. Remove from the heat.
- To assemble the fajitas add the coconut rice to the center of each warmed tortilla, then top with the chicken and peppers. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese if using and add the thai mango slaw. Mmmm.
More from Half Baked Harvest.