Serving Size: 4
- vegetable oil
- Thai basil leaves
- 0.5 Pound pad thai rice noodles, cooked and cut in half crosswise
- 1 red Thai bird chile, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 0.5 large jalapeño, seeded and sliced
- 0.5 bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 0.5 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp black soy sauce or 3/4 teaspoon soy sauce sweetened with 1/4 teaspoon molasses
- 1.5 tsp roasted red chile paste
- 1 Tbsp Asian fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 0.5 cup chicken stock
- 7 Ounce firm tofu, cubed and dried
- lime wedges, for serving
- In a nonstick skillet, heat 1/4 inch of oil. Add the tofu and cook over moderately high heat, turning, until crisp, 5 minutes. Drain.
- In a bowl, whisk the stock, oyster sauce, fish sauce, chile paste, soy sauce and sugar.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the bell pepper, jalapeño, garlic and Thai chile and stir-fry over high heat until fragrant, 2 minutes. Add the noodles and stir-fry until browned, 4 minutes. Add the sauce and toss over moderately high heat, until absorbed. Fold in 1 cup of basil and the tofu. Garnish with more basil and serve with lime wedges.
Recipe Credit: Bank Atcharawan
Image Credit: Con Poulos