Double Cheeseburgers, Los Angeles-Style
- 0.33 cup mayonnaise
- 4 thin slices of tomato
- 4 shiso or sesame (perilla) leaves
- 4 butter lettuce leaves
- 8 slices of cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- freshly ground pepper
- kosher salt
- 2 Pound ground chuck, shaped into eight 1/4-inch-thick patties
- 4 brioche hamburger buns, split
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame seed
- 4 thin slices of red onion
- In a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise with the sesame seeds.
- Heat a large nonstick griddle or 2 nonstick skillets over moderate heat. Butter the cut sides of the hamburger buns and toast them on the griddle until golden, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a platter.
- Season the patties with salt and pepper. Brush the griddle with the olive oil, add the patties and cook over high heat for 2 minutes. Flip the patties and cook for 2 minutes longer, then top each one with a slice of cheddar cheese. Cook just until the cheese is melted, about 1 minute.
- Stack 2 burgers on each bun. Top with the lettuce, shiso leaves, tomato and onion. Spread the top halves of the buns with the sesame mayo, close the burgers and serve.
Image Credit: Chris Court
Recipe Courtesy of: Roy Choi