Double-Baked Fries with Garlic Cheese Sauce and Bacon
Would you believe me if I told you the sauce was actually not bad for you? No butter, no cream, no flour. I used a combo of light cream cheese and plain fat-free greek yogurt to get a super creamy and light sauce. A little sharp cheddar cheese goes a long way! It’s creamy and has just a little kick from some chipotle hot sauce (everyone in my family is obsessed with this stuff). It’s totally finger dippin’ worthy!
- 1-2 large cloves garlic, grated
- 0.25 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- salt and pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 6 medium potatoes
- 0.5 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- 0.25 cup milk, maybe more, maybe less
- 0.5 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 0.33 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 Ounce light cream cheese
- 1 large or 2 small cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp chipotle flavor hot sauce (I used Franks)
- 4-6 pieces of cooked bacon, crumbled
- 4 green onions, sliced
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Cut each potato into very thin fries lengthwise no more than a quarter-inch thick. In a large bowl, toss the fries very lightly with olive oil. I think I used about a tablespoon. Season with salt and pepper and arrange the fries in single layer without crowding them (this is very important - I used two baking sheets).
- Place the fries in the oven and roast for 30 minutes. Remove the fries and increase the heat to 425°F. Very carefully toss the fries in a large bowl again with the chili powder, smoked paprika, cayenne and garlic. Before you place the fries back in the oven, place a wire rack inside the baking pan and spray with cooking spray. Spread the fries in a single across the rack. Return the fries to the oven and bake for another 15-20 minutes until very crisp and brown.
- During the last 10 minutes of baking heat about 1 teaspoon olive oil in a small sauce pan. Saute the garlic for 30 seconds and the add the cream cheese and greek yogurt. Whisk until the cream cheese has melted into the Greek yogurt and you have a smooth sauce. Reduce the heat to low and add the cheddar cheese, whisking until melted. Add the season salt and pepper If the sauce is too thick add a tablespoon of milk at a time until you reach your desired consistency. Remove from the heat and stir in the chipotle hot sauce.
- Once the fries are done remove from the oven and serve with the cheese sauce drizzled over them, then crumble on the bacon.
Note that you will probably not use all of the cheese sauce.
Read more from Half Baked Harvest.