Cumin Lamb Noodles with Eggplant
This recipe contains a rich, creamy lamb ragù with delicious Greek flavors; it's a total crowd-pleaser and a nice alternative to more common Italian pasta dishes.
- 3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 0.5 cup whole plain Greek yogurt
- 8 Ounce gemelli
- 0.75 cup chicken stock
- 0.25 cup tomato paste
- 0.75 Pound ground lamb
- Kosher salt
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 0.5 tsp smoked paprika, preferably hot
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium eggplant (1 pound), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 0.33 cup chopped mint
- In a large skillet, heat the oil. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5 minutes. Add the eggplant, garlic, oregano, cumin, paprika and crushed red pepper and season with salt. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 minute. Add the lamb and cook, breaking up the meat into small pieces with a wooden spoon. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in the stock and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat until the sauce is thickened, 12 minutes.
- Cook the pasta in a pot of salted boiling water until al dente, 8 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water. Stir the pasta and 1/4 cup of the reserved cooking water into the sauce; add more water if a thinner sauce is desired. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the yogurt and mint. Season with salt and serve hot.
Make Ahead: The lamb sauce can be refrigerated overnight and reheated.
Recipe Credit: Ashley Rodriguez
Image Credit: Christina Holmes