Cucumber Fried Rice
Instead of the usual stir-fried rice, this one uses cucumbers, salami, arugula and chiles in a spicy, fresh and meaty combination.
- 4 Persian or Kirby cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 3 Ounce arugula, chopped (4 cups)
- 1 Thai chile or serrano, minced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 4 cup cooked white rice
- 3 Ounce thinly sliced salami
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 2 tsp kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- In a colander set over a bowl, toss the cucumbers with the 2 teaspoons of salt and let stand for 30 minutes. Rinse well and squeeze dry. In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil. Add the cucumbers, garlic and salami and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the rice, scallions, chile and arugula; season with salt and pepper and stir-fry until the rice is hot.
Recipe Credit: Kay Chun
Image Credit: John Kernick