Crispy Quinoa Sliders
Serving Size: 12
- 0.67 cup quinoa
- onion, for serving
- tomatoes, for serving
- lettuce, for serving
- mini burger buns, for serving
- 0.25 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 0.25 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 0.5 tsp kosher salt
- 3 small cloves garlic, minced
- 0.25 cup chopped chive
- 0.5 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 cup coarsely grated zucchini
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1-inch-thick slices of wheat bread, crusts removed and bread cubed
- pickle, for serving
- In a medium saucepan, cook the quinoa in boiling water until just tender, 10 minutes. Drain and spread on a baking sheet to cool.
- In a food processor, pulse the bread until coarse crumbs form; you should have about 1 cup. In a bowl, whisk the eggs. Squeeze the liquid from the zucchini and add the zucchini to the eggs. Stir in the cheese, chives, garlic, salt and pepper. Mix in the quinoa and bread crumbs. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Using a 1/4-cup measure, scoop 12 mounds and form each one into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add 6 patties and cook until golden on the bottom, 3 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon of the oil to the skillet, flip the patties and cook for 3 minutes, until crisp. Repeat with the remaining patties and oil. Serve with buns, lettuce, tomatoes, onion and pickles.
Recipe Credit: Kay Chun
Image Credit: Christina Holmes