Crispy Fish Sandwiches with Herb Remoulade
- 1 Tbsp canola oil, plus more for brushing
- lettuce, for serving
- 4 6-ounce skinless catfish filet
- 4 kaiser or whole wheat sesame-seed rolls, split
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp finely chopped tarragon
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 3 Tbsp chopped cornichons
- 0.5 tsp tabasco sauce
- 1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 0.25 cup fromage blanc, see Note
- 1 tsp OLD BAY seasoning
- 1 cup panko, Japanese bread crumbs
- sliced tomato, for serving
1. In a small skillet, heat the canola oil. Add the panko crumbs and cook over moderately low heat, stirring, until they're golden, 5 minutes. Stir in the Old Bay and transfer the toasted crumbs to a plate.
2. In a small bowl, whisk the fromage blanc with the mustard, lemon juice, Tabasco, cornichons, parsley and tarragon and season the remoulade with salt and pepper.
3. Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Oil the grates. Grill the rolls cut side down until lightly toasted. Transfer the rolls to plates and spread with the remoulade.
4. Brush the fish with canola oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over moderate heat, turning once, until the fish is cooked through, about 8 minutes. Transfer the fish to a plate. Press each filet into the panko and transfer to a toasted roll. Top with lettuce and tomato, close the sandwiches and serve.