Creamy Reuben Chowder with Rye Croutons
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 6 slices of rye bread, cubed and toasted
- 0.25 cup snipped chives
- 0.25 cup crème fraîche
- 1 Pound sauerkraut—drained, rinsed and squeezed dry (1 1/2 cups)
- 4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1.5 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 0.75 Pound andouille sausage, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 0.75 Pound pound smoked ham, diced
- 1 large onion, very thinly sliced
- prepared horseradish, for serving
- In a large enameled cast-iron casserole, melt the butter. Add the onion, cover and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the ham and sausage and cook uncovered, stirring, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in the flour. Add the broth and sauerkraut and bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat for 15 minutes. Stir in the crème fraîche and chives. Serve in deep bowls with the rye croutons and horseradish.
Make Ahead: The chowder can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Recipe Credit: Grace Parisi
Image Credit: Fredrika Stjärne