Creamless Creamed Corn with Mushrooms and Lemon
- 6 medium dried shiitake mushroom caps
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 medium shallot, minced
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ear white corn, shucked
- boiling water
- freshly ground black pepper
1. In a bowl, cover the shiitake with boiling water. Let stand for 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, set a box grater in a large bowl. On the coarse side, grate 5 ears of the corn all the way to the cob. Using a serrated knife, cut the kernels from the remaining ears of corn. Using the dull side of the knife, scrape the juices from the cobs into the bowl.
3. Drain and mince the shiitake. In a saucepan, heat the oil. Add the shallots, garlic and shiitake and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until very soft, about 10 minutes. Increase the heat to high and when the oil sizzles, add the corn and its juices. Cook, stirring, until the corn is thick and shiny, 3 minutes. Add the lemon zest and juice, season with salt and pepper and serve.