Creamed Kale Crostini
Looking for the perfect, crowd-pleasing appetizer when entertaining this holiday season? Look no further.
The creamed kale + the parmesan and gruyere cheese + the garlic and red pepper flakes... all on a little toasted piece of bread with Dijon mustard? Oh my gawd. Hold me back. These are delicious. You must try this recipe ASAP. I’m making these again on Christmas Day for sure!
- 9 Ounce (family size) 100% baby kale from Organic Girl; discard stems if desired
- dijon mustard or stone ground mustard
- baguette slices, oiled with extra virgin olive oil and toasted
- freshly ground pepper
- kosher salt
- 0.25 cup grated Gruyère cheese, plus more for garnish
- 0.25 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more for garnish
- 0.5 cup heavy cream
- 0.5 tsp crushed red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- fresh parsley, for garnish
- In a large saucepan of salted boiling water, blanch the kale until just tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain, squeeze and let cool slightly, then finely chop.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter. Add the garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until just starting to brown, 2 minutes. Add the kale and crushed red pepper and cook for 2 minutes, tossing. Add the cream and bring just to a slight boil. Simmer over moderately low heat, stirring, until the cream has thickened. Stir in the grated cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- Spread dijon or stone ground mustard on each toast and top with the kale. Garnish with more grated cheese and a little fresh parsley. Serve immediately and enjoy!
MAKE AHEAD: The creamed kale can be refrigerated overnight. Reheat gently before using.
Read more from Hip Foodie Mom.