These waffles turned out just the way a waffle should. Thick, slightly crunchy, but warm and soft at the same time. Make these soon, even if you have to beg, borrow or steal a waffle iron to do so.
- 1.75 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 5 Tbsp butter, melted and cooled
- 0.5 cup cornmeal
- 0.5 cup coarse cornmeal (polenta)
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs and melted butter. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients, then quickly and gently combine the wet and dry ingredients. Let the batter sit at room temp for 10 minutes, to allow the cornmeal to soften.
- Drop the batter by 1/3-cupfuls (if making round waffles) or ½-cupfuls if making rectangular waffles onto a hot waffle iron (prepared by your waffle irons’ instructions), and bake until the waffle iron stops steaming.
Read more from Jelly Toast.