Coq au Riesling
In this creamy take on coq au vin, the chicken is braised in dry Riesling and silky-rich crème fraîche is stirred in at the end, making it extra-decadent.
- 4 Pound chicken legs, split
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 0.5 cup crème fraîche
- 1 Pound mixed mushrooms. sliced
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 1.5 cup chicken stock
- 1.5 cup dry riesling
- 2 medium shallots, chopped
- 1 celery rib, choppped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 0.25 cup canola oil
- freshly ground pepper
- kosher salt
- finely chopped tarragon, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 300°. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. In a large, enameled cast-iron casserole, heat 2 tablespoons of the canola oil. Add half of the chicken and cook over moderately high heat, turning, until browned, 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Cook the remaining chicken, then pour off the fat and wipe out the casserole.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of canola oil in the casserole. Add the onion, carrot, celery and shallots and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the vegetables are softened and lightly browned, 8 minutes. Add the wine and simmer for 1 minute, scraping up the browned bits from the pot. Add the chicken stock and thyme and bring to a boil.
- Nestle the chicken in the casserole; cover and braise in the oven for 1 hour, until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a very large skillet, melt the butter in the olive oil. Add the mushrooms and cook over high heat, without stirring, until well browned, 5 minutes. Season the mushrooms with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until tender, 3 to 5 minutes; transfer to a plate.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate. Strain the braising liquid through a fine sieve into a heatproof bowl, pressing on the solids; skim off the fat. Return the braising liquid to the casserole and boil until reduced to 1 1/2 cups, 3 to 5 minutes. Whisk in the crème fraîche and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Add the mushrooms and chicken to the sauce and simmer for 3 minutes. Garnish with tarragon and serve.
America's Best Brunch Spots
Best Chicken Dishes in the U.S.
Best Ethnic Food in the U.S.
Best Burgers in the U.S.
America's Best Chocolate Chip Cookies
Recipe Credit: Christopher Israel
Image Credit: Con Poulous