Copper River Salmon Salad With Creamy Avocado Dressing
Sockeye is wonderful cooked on the grill, roasted in the oven, or even poached. I opted to lightly poach some of the sockeye in white wine, and to use it in an Asian inspired salad. I used a mild butter lettuce, as I did not want bitter greens to over power the salmon. The addition of fresh cilantro, gave the greens a refreshing surprise. I made a dressing of fresh lime juice, toasted sesame, ginger, yuzu kosho and avocado. The avocado gave the dressing a nice creamy texture. Fresh sugar snap peas and crispy wontons brought the dish together as a memorable main entree.
- 1 Pound copper river sockeye salmon
- 8 wonton skins, cut into thin strips
- sugar snap peas, handful
- 3 green onions, sliced thinly
- 0.5 cup cilantro, torn into pieces
- 1 butter lettuce, washed, torn into bite size pieces
- 2 avocados
- 0.5 tsp yuzo kosho
- 0.5 tsp fresh ginger
- 7 Tbsp canola oil
- 2 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 5 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- sprinkle of salt
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 cup water
- grapeseed oil
- In a large saucepan (big enough to fit your piece of fish), add the water and wine; bring to a simmer. Add the fish, cover with a lid, and gently poach for 8 minutes.
- In another small sauce pan, bring some water to boil. Once it is boiling, add the sugar snap peas, and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Run under cold water, drain, and lay on a paper towel to remove mositure.
- Remove the fish from the heat, set aside to cool.
- In a blender, add the lime juice, sesame oil, canola oil, ginger and yuzu kosho; blend for 1 minute. Add 1/2 avocado, blend until creamy, and season with salt, to taste; set aside. Cut the remainder of the avocado into medium sized pieces.
- Fill a large frying pan with the grapeseed oil; heat over medium heat, until it is hot enough to lightly crisp a wonton.
- Cook all the wonton strips until golden brown.
- In a large salad bowl, add the butter lettuce, cilantro, and green onions; lightly toss with 1/2 of the dressing. Using your fingers, flake the salmon, into medium sized pieces. Add the salmon, along with the avocado and sugar snap peas to the bowl of lettuce. Lightly toss.
- Sprinkle the crispy wontons over the top. Serve the remainder of the dressing on the side.
- Serve. Eat.
More from Chez Us.