Cod with Artichokes and Chickpeas
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 6-ounce skinless cod filets
- 2 Tbsp snipped chives
- 2 Tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1 chickpeas, drained
- 2 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 carrot, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 0.25 Pound shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded and caps quartered
- 1 frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and pressed dry
- 1 small white onion, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 0.25 cup extra virgin olive oil
- lemon wedges, for serving
1. In a large, deep skillet, melt the butter in 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the onion, artichoke hearts, shiitake caps, carrots and garlic and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 7 minutes. Add the chickpeas and stock, season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat until the vegetables are tender and the liquid is nearly evaporated, 5 minutes. Stir in the parsley and chives and keep warm.
2. In a large nonstick skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil until almost smoking. Season the cod filets with salt and pepper, add to the skillet and cook over high heat until well browned on the bottom, about 6 minutes. Carefully flip the filets and cook until they?re white throughout, about 3 minutes longer.
3. Spoon the vegetables into shallow bowls and top with the seared cod filets. Serve with lemon wedges.