Citrusy Chicken Tenders
- 1 large egg
- warm marinara sauce, for serving
- canola or vegetable oil, for frying
- 1.5 cup plain dry bread crumb
- 1 Pound skinless, boneless chicken breast half, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- freshly ground black pepper
- kosher salt
- 1 tsp finely chopped thyme
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 0.25 cup orange juice
- 2 tsp finely grated lime zest
- 2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 1 cup white ale, such as Baladin Isaac
- 2 tsp finely grated orange zest
- In a bowl, whisk the egg, ale, citrus zests and juices and thyme. Season with a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Add the chicken, cover and refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours.
- Line a baking sheet with a rack. Put the bread crumbs in a shallow dish. Working with one strip at a time, remove the chicken from the marinade, dredge it in the bread crumbs and transfer to the rack.
- In a large, deep skillet, heat 1 inch of oil to 350°. Working in batches, fry the chicken until golden and cooked through, 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with salt. Serve with warm marinara sauce.
Recipe Credit: Sergio Durando
Image Credit: Martin Morrell