Citrus-Marinated Pork Chops
Serving Size: 4
Seamus Mullen serves his citrus-glazed pork chops with a fresh, crunchy, spicy slaw that is an unexpected combination of endives, cauliflower and jalapeños with cashews and coconut.
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 0.25 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp grated lime zest
- 0.25 cup fresh lime juice
- 0.25 cup honey
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 4 10-ounce bone-in pork loin chops, cut 1 inch thick
- 3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- kosher salt
- Whisk the citrus juice and zest, honey, garlic and onion. Add the chops and let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Remove the chops from the marinade. Strain and reserve the marinade. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil. Season the chops with salt and pepper, add 2 to the skillet and cook over moderately high heat until golden, about 2 minutes per side; transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil and 2 chops. Clean the skillet.
- In the same skillet, melt the butter. Add the chops and the strained marinade and cook over moderate heat, turning and basting, until the chops are cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes; an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center of each chop should register 135°. Transfer the chops to plates and spoon some of the sauce on top.
- 3 Tbsp vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 0.5 tsp grated orange zest
- 0.25 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 endives—halved lengthwise, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño, thinly sliced
- 0.5 head of cauliflower, florets thinly sliced
- 0.25 cup chopped cilantro
- kosher salt
- 0.33 cup roasted cashews, chopped
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- 0.33 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- In a large bowl, whisk the coconut oil with the vinegar, garlic, orange zest and juice. Add the endives, jalapeño, cauliflower and cilantro, season with salt and pepper and toss well.
- Top the chops with the slaw. Scatter the cashews and coconut flakes on top and serve.
Recipe Credit: Seamus Mullen
Image Credit: John Kernick