Ciliegine Caprese Salad
I know I've made a Tomato and Mozzarella salad before, but this one was a little different because I used Ciliegine or "cherry sized" fresh mozzarella, as well as my fresh Jersey garden tomatoes. I wanted to add the golden cherry tomatoes as they are much sweeter than the red and gave this salad a wonderful flavor, not to mention the GORGEOUS color (what kid wouldn't want to eat this!).
I also made a chiffonade out of the basil, which is another way to cut the fresh basil leaves into thin strips. Simply gather rinsed fresh basil leaves, stack them together, roll them into a tube-like shape, then slice the tube thinly into strips. It gives your salad a nice, clean, uniform look.
- 8 Ounce CILIEGINE fresh mozzarella
- Ounce golden sunburst tomato, cut in half
- 2 cup fresh garden cherry tomato
- 2 Tbsp basil chiffonade
- 2 Tbsp aged balsamic vinegar
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Add all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
Read more at Carrie's Experimental Kitchen.