Chocolate Zucchini Amaranth Muffins
I think this recipe owes it’s success to Amaranth flour which has a sweet, nutty, malty flavor and is highly nutritious. It’s a polyunsaturated, high protein, high fiber grain with a balance of amino acids. I’ve always had great results when using it solely in various quick breads, without the need to cut it with anything else. You’ll see it’s much less dense than other whole grain flour options. My favorite cocoa powder is Valrona. And a bonus, these are suitable for my gluten free friends too!
- 1.5 cup amaranth flour (you can substitute another flour)
- 1.5 Ounce dark chocolate, finely chopped- my favorite is Green and Black’s
- 0.5 Pound zucchini, 1 cup grated
- 0.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large banana
- 2 large eggs
- 0.5 cup olive oil
- 1 cup maple sugar
- 0.25 tsp sea salt
- 0.25 tsp baking powder
- 0.5 tsp baking soda
- 0.5 tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened Dutch process cocoa, my favorite is Valrona
- 0.25 cup chopped walnut
- Preheat oven at 350°
- Whisk together flour, cocoa, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- With an electric mixer, beat together the sugar, olive oil, egg, mashed banana and vanilla until thick and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- At a slow speed, add the flour mix until thoroughly combined. Then add the zucchini, chocolate and walnuts.
- Using a 1 oz. scoop, divide a scant scoop among the lined muffin cups. Bake about 18-20 minutes until a skewer comes out clean. Cool in pan about 5 minutes. Then remove the muffins and cool completely.
Makes 24 mini muffins.
Read more from Colombe Du Jour.