Chocolate-Swirled Pumpkin Pie
- All-Butter Pie Dough (recipe below)
- 0.5 cup heavy cream
- 15 Ounce pumpkin puree
- pinch of salt
- 0.25 tsp clove
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 0.75 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 3 Ounce bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough (recipe below) to a 13-inch round a scant 1/4 inch thick. Fit the dough into a 9-inch glass pie plate. Trim the edge to 3/4 inch; fold the dough under itself and crimp decoratively. Refrigerate the pie shell for 10 minutes.
2. Line the pie shell with foil and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake in the center of the oven until nearly set, about 25 minutes. Remove the foil and weights and bake until the crust is pale golden, about 10 minutes longer. Let cool slightly.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, cloves and salt until smooth. Whisk in the pumpkin puree, then the cream. Transfer 1 cup of the filling to a bowl and whisk in the melted chocolate. Working near the oven, pour the rest of the pumpkin filling into the crust. Dollop the chocolate filling on top and swirl it in with a butter knife. Bake the pie for about 45 minutes, until the custard is set. Cover the crust with strips of foil if it browns too quickly. Cool the pie on a wire rack completely before serving.
Related recipe: All-Butter Pie Dough