Chocolate Eggnog Cupcakes with Rum Cream Cheese Frosting
Serving Size: 18
For the cupcakes:
- 1.25 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 0.5 cup sifted cocoa powder
- 0.5 cup dark rum, or rum extract for a non-alcoholic version
- 1 cup eggnog
- 1.25 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1.25 cup sugar
- 8 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 0.25 tsp salt
- 0.5 tsp baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 350 ?F. Line a cupcake pan with twelve paper baking cups, and a second pan with six baking cups.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl, and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or in a bowl with a handheld electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, approximately 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing slowly after each addition.
- Combine the vanilla and eggnog in a large liquid measuring cup.
- Add one third of the flour mixture to the butter mixture, then gradually add one third of the eggnog mixture, beating slowly until well incorporated. Add another third of the flour mixture, followed by another third of the eggnog mixture. Stop to scrape down the bowl as needed. Add the remaining flour mixture, followed by the remaining eggnog mixture, and beat just until combined.
- Add the rum (or rum extract), and mix until just combined.
- Add the cocoa powder, beating on low speed just until incorporated.
- Using a standard-size ice cream scoop, fill each baking cup so that it is two-thirds full. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes (start checking at 15 minutes) or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Transfer the pans to a wire rack to cool completely.
For the rum cream cheese frosting
- 0.25 cup ark rum, or rum extract for a non-alcoholic version
- 6 Ounce cream cheese
- 0.25 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 cup sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 9 tsp freshly ground nutmeg (for garnish)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or in a bowl with a handheld electric mixer, mix all the ingredients (except for the nutmeg) for approximately 3 to 5 minutes, until the frosting is light and airy. Frost each cupcake with a thick layer of the frosting using an offset spatula. Sprinkle 1⁄2 teaspoon of freshly ground nutmeg on each cupcake, serve and enjoy!
Get a free printable with holiday recipes from our favorite celebrated chefs.