Chocolate Chip Scones
These scones are full of flavor and unlike many other scones that may appear to be overly dry and extra crumbly, these are moist, fluffy, and tender.
- 2.25 cup all-purpose flour
- 0.5 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 egg, beaten
- 0.75 cup dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 0.75 cup milk chocolate, roughly chopped
- 3 Ounce (1/3 cup + ¼ cup) cold butter, cut into small cubes
- 0.25 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 0.25 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Mix all dry ingredients (all-purpose flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda) in a stand mixer with a paddle attachment. Mix on low speed for about 1 minute until all ingredients are well blended.
- Meanwhile, chop milk chocolate and dark chocolate or place both chocolates in a food processor and pulse until chocolate is pea-sized.
- Add butter to bowl along with the dry ingredients. Switch speed to medium and mix until butter is pea-sized.
- Stop mixer and fold in chopped milk chocolate and dark chocolate.
- Combine egg, honey, and milk in a small bowl and whisk until all three ingredients are well combined. Turn mixer to low speed and pour wet ingredients into bowl. Continue mixing just until dough comes together.
- Sprinkle flour over work surface and dump dough over flour. Divide dough into two pieces. Work with one piece of dough at a time, rounding it, and flattening it to a 6”-7” diameter disc. Cut flattened disc with a dough scraper or a large knife into 8 equal pieces that have the shape of a triangle. Repeat the same procedure with the other half of the dough.
- Place pieces on a sheet tray that has been covered with parchment paper, placing thinner corners of the scones towards the center.
- Bake, for a total of 10-11 minutes, rotating baking sheet halfway through baking time, until scones develop a nice golden color on the top and bottom. Cool on wire rack for at least 10 minutes.
- Brush surface of scones with chocolate glaze.
- 0.5 cup chocolate milk
- 0.25 cup + 1 Tbsp confectioners sugar
- Combine confectioners sugar and chocolate milk in a small bowl. Whisk until all ingredients are fully incorporated and glaze is smooth and lump-free.
For the full post, visit Sweet Lab.