Serving Size: 12
- 0.5 Pound pound high-quality bittersweet chocolate, (Callebaut or El Rey) 3 large eggs, plus 3 large yolks
- 3 large eggs, plus 3 large yolks
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 0.5 cup sugar
- 12 Tbsp (1 ½ sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Grease or spray two 12-cup muffin tins with vegetable or canola oil. (You can also use just one tin and bake the batter in two batches.) Wipe out excess oil with a paper towel. Set the tin aside.
- Melt softened butter in a large bowl set over a saucepan of hot water (bain marie or double boiler) over very low heat. As the butter is melting, grate the chocolate or chop it into small shards with a chef’s knife or a serrated knife. (It’s easiest if you begin at a corner, particularly if the chocolate is very thick. Take it slowly and keep your fingers safe.)
- Once the butter has melted, place the chopped chocolate in the bain marie and allow the chocolate to melt slowly, stirring until the mixture is smooth and the chocolate is completely incorporated. Remove the bowl from the hot water and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, gently whisk the whole eggs, egg yolks, sugar, and flour. Mix until all of the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Slowly temper the sugar/egg mixture into the chocolate/butter mixture, stirring vigorously until well combined.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tins, filling each cup three-quarters full. Bake for 11 to 12 minutes for mini muffin tins., 18-20 minutes for full cake. The edges will have just begun to pull away from the pan, and the top of each budino should still look moist and shiny at the center. Remove tins from the oven and allow them to cool for 10 minutes. While the tins are still warm, place a baking sheet over the top of each muffin tin and invert it. Carefully lift the muffin tin to release cakes. Transfer the cakes to a serving platter or individual dessert plates. They’re at their best if served warm, but are also delicious at room temperature served with crème anglaise, whipped cream, and/or fresh berries.
Makes 12 small cakes or one 9-inch round cake.