Chili and Cornbread Skillet
Veggie chili is one of my favorite things to make, since it’s super easy and pretty healthy, but it was fun to add in the cornbread for something different. It definitely took a bit longer, but it also felt like a more well rounded meal.
- 1 medium onion
- Chili powder to taste (1/4 tsp ish)
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 Can kidney beans
- 1 Can black beans
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- Preheat the oven to 425.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil and saute the onion and garlic for 5 minutes.
- Add in the kidney beans, black beans, corn, tomato, and tomato paste.
- Sprinkle with salt and chili powder and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 0.25 cup sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 0.25 oil (used olive)
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg and combine with milk and oil.
- Add the wet ingredients to the cornmeal mixture and stir until just combined. (It’ll still be lumpy.)
- Remove the skillet from heat and drop the cornmeal mixture on top.
- Scoop small spoonfuls all across the skillet, leaving an inch around the edges.
- Pop it in the oven for 20 minutes or until the cornbread begins to brown on the edges.
- Let sit for 10 minutes, then serve.
For the full post, visit I Heart Vegetables.