Chickpeas with Tomatoes and Carrots
- 1 cup dried chickpeas, soaked overnight and drained
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 3 Tbsp chopped parsley
- 0.5 cup strained tomato or plain tomato sauce
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 0.5 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 carrot, halved lengthwise and sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick
- 0.5 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 large garlic clove, 1 thinly sliced
- freshly ground black pepper
1. In a large saucepan, cover the chickpeas with 2 quarts of water. Add the whole garlic clove and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the chickpeas are tender, about 2 hours. Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt and simmer for 10 minutes longer. Drain the chickpeas and discard the bay leaf and garlic clove.
2. In a large, deep skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the carrots, onion and sliced garlic, cover and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until the carrots are tender, about 10 minutes. Add the crushed red pepper and wine and boil over moderately high heat until the wine has reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Add the strained tomatoes and simmer over moderate heat for 5 minutes. Add 2 cups of cold water and the drained chickpeas and simmer over moderate heat until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes. Add the parsley, lemon zest and lemon juice and season with salt and black pepper. Serve at room temperature.