Chicken Smothered in Gravy
- 2.5 Tbsp canola oil
- 0.25 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1 large tomato, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1.5 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 Ounce bacon, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch strips
- freshly ground pepper
- 8 3-ounce skinless chicken drumstick
- 2 2 parsley sprigs plus 2 teaspoons chopped parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 375°. In an ovenproof nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add to the pan. Cook over moderately high heat until browned all over, 8 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
2. Add the bacon to the skillet and cook, stirring, until the fat is rendered, 2 minutes. Drain off the fat. Add the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil to the skillet and stir in the flour until incorporated. Add the onion and garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until slightly softened, 3 minutes. Add the tomato and tomato paste and cook, stirring, until the tomato softens slightly, 5 minutes. Add the milk and broth and bring to a boil, stirring until slightly thickened, 3 minutes. Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the skillet; add the parsley sprigs.
3. Cover the chicken and braise in the oven for 20 minutes, until the meat is cooked through. Using tongs, transfer the chicken to a platter and discard the parsley sprigs.
4. Return the skillet to moderate heat and cook the gravy, whisking constantly, until smooth, about 2 minutes. Whisk in the chopped parsley, pour the gravy over the chicken legs and serve.