Chicken Roasted on Bread with Caperberries and Charred Lemons
In this supersimple dish, chicken legs roast on top of torn pieces of bread that absorb the rich and tangy juices, becoming deliciously crisp and chewy.
- 0.5 Pound sourdough bread, torn into bite-size pieces
- 4 large shallots, quartered lengthwise
- 0.75 cup drained caperberries
- 2 lemons, scrubbed and quartered lengthwise
- 0.25 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 4 12-ounce whole chicken legs
- Preheat the oven to 400°. On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss the bread with the shallots, caperberries, lemons and the 1/4 cup of olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Brush the chicken legs with oil and season with salt and pepper. Arrange the chicken on the bread. Roast the chicken for about 50 minutes, until the bread is crisp and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thighs registers 160°. Transfer the chicken, bread and vegetables to plates and serve.
Recipe Credit: Justin Chapple
Image Credit: Christina Holmes