Chicken, Fennel, and Artichoke Fricassee
There's incredible flavor in this one-skillet dish. Fennel and red onion intensify the braising liquid, which becomes a pan sauce.
- 1 whole chicken (about 4 pounds), cut into 10 pieces
- coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch wedges, 1/4 cup fronds reserved
- 1 can (15 ounces) water-packed whole artichoke hearts, drained
- 1 small red onion, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp red-wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Season chicken with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet over high heat until hot but not smoking. Brown chicken on all sides, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat. Reduce heat to medium-high. Brown fennel wedges, artichokes, and onion in skillet, stirring occasionally, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Return chicken to skillet. Add stock. Transfer to oven. Braise until cooked through, 18 to 20 minutes. Transfer chicken and vegetables to a platter. Reduce braising liquid over high heat to about 1/3 cup. Stir in vinegar. Pour sauce over chicken, and top with fennel fronds and parsley.
Quick, One-Pot Meal Ideas To Feed the Whole Family
20 Classic Comfort Food Recipes from Martha Stewart
36 Dinners You Can Make in Just 15 Minutes!
42 Slow-Cooker Recipes Worth the Wait
These Pretty (and Delicious!) Holiday Cookie Recipes Are Perfect for Gifting
27 Easy Party Food Ideas You Can Make in a Pinch
Image Credit: Johnny Miller