Chicken-Cashew Tea Sandwiches with Shallot Gremolata
Serving Size: 4
A piquant mix of shallots, lemon zest and herbs punches up these chicken salad sandwiches from Ben Mims. Rinsing the shallots in the gremolata softens their oniony flavor.
- 0.75 cup diced cooked chicken breast
- finely grated zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 Tbsp minced chervil
- 3 Tbsp minced shallots, rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp minced chives, plus chopped chives for garnish
- 3 Tbsp finely chopped roasted cashews
- 0.25 cup Champagne grapes or quartered small green grapes
- 0.25 cup mayonnaise
- 0.25 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 slices of rye bread
- In a bowl, mix the chicken, oil, mayonnaise, grapes, cashews, minced chives, lemon juice and two-thirds each of the shallots and chervil; season with salt and pepper. In another bowl, mix the remaining shallots and chervil with the lemon zest.
- Spread the chicken salad on the rye. Cut the sandwiches into halves or quarters. Sprinkle the gremolata on top and garnish with chopped chives.
Recipe Credit: Ben Mims
Image Credit: Con Poulos